4.19.2012

Review: Jane Slayre: The Literary Classic with a Blood-Sucking Twist! by Sherri Browning Erwin, Charlotte Brontë

Jane Slayre: The Literary Classic with a Blood-Sucking TwistJane Slayre: The Literary Classic with a Blood-Sucking Twist by Sherri Browning Erwin

My rating: 3 of 5 stars


Maybe it's the audiobook factor, but of all these classic-meets-iconic fantasy/horror demons, this is my least favorite so far. This is funny, considering this novel contains vampires, zombies, AND werewolves. I like vampires. I like that the vampires in this novel are generally self-serving, rude, dark, and very much un-sparkly. Sometimes they were a little too... human for me, though, and I found myself pitying a number of them. The werewolf was an important character to the plot resolution and the main stumbling block for the main character's romantic leanings, but is only vaguely referenced until the latter portion of the book. The zombies were definitely my favorite appearance in the book. Jane is a young girl away at boarding school, safe from the machinations of her vampiric extended family, but becomes an integral part in uncovering the zombie plots at her school in the most humorous way. The descriptions of the zombies, both their movements and actions, and the account of how they become transformed, are exceptionally detailed and captivating.

I'd probably give it more like a 3.75/5, but I don't feel like rounding up.



View all my reviews

No comments:

Post a Comment